United Kingdom

Most local authority areas have enterprise support agencies that can help with business training and advice.


Many people benefit from using a suitably experienced Job Coach or Enterprise Facilitator to help the process. More and more members of the British Association of Supported Employment offer training services that include self-employment and small business development, aimed at people who have a disability and those that support them.


Access to work

Access to work can contribute to equipment, travel and support costs for self-employed people with a disability or long term health condition. Access to Work will not pay for start-up costs or cover costs, such as business course or market research, while your business is being formed.

New Enterprise Allowance

The New Enterprise allowance is available to people in receipt of certain benefits interested in developing a business idea. You may be eligible if you are over 18 and get either:

Universal Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance

Income Support if you are a lone parent, sick or disabled

It offers a mentor, advice and support along with a weekly allowance worth and access to a loan fund to help with start-up costs.

More information can be found at:


Registration, tax and benefits

All businesses need to register with HMRC. For most people this will be as a sole trader but others may set up a Limited Company or Community Interest Company. Information on how to register as self-employed and create a tax account can be found here:


The site also has links to information about the records that must be kept and what insurance is needed.

Welfare benefits

It is important to check the impact on any welfare benefits when setting out. The following links provide information regarding benefits and self-employment.